At epic we are driven by autonomy, efficiency, and innovation, as we believe that these elements pave the way to epic craft! We empower our employees to work on things that they are passionate about. You will not just be joining; you will be adding!
We pride ourselves on delivering Great Network for Great Value to our customers and we do so through focusing on the customer, collaborating as one team.
Key Activities / Decision Areas:
1. Field support on aerial fibre optic (FO) network
- To locate cuts or breakages in aerial FO cables.
- To remove redundant/damaged aerial FO cable.
- To replace, re-route or relocate damaged FO cable.
- Perform street visits to collect routing information for planning relocation of aerial FO cable.
- Ensure that all work proceeds in compliance with the H&S procedures issued by OHSA and EPIC’s guidelines.
- If required provide support to FTTH rollout contractors.
3. Technical & Call Out Duties:
- Preparation of FO cable prior to splicing.
- Splicing fibre optic cable using a fusion splicing device.
- Faults occurring outside office hours need to be attended to as required. Such work is covered through a call-out roster so that support to systems and equipment is effectively on a 24/7 basis.
- Ability to ‘think on one’s feet’.
- Dependable and motivated.
- Team player.
Technical / Professional Expertise:
- Preferably has previous experience working with fibre optic cables and passive hardware.
- Knowledge of splicing and splicing methods considered an important asset.
- Show proficiency in reading and interpreting site plans and network layouts.
- Familiarity and proficiency in the use of common software packages like MSexcel, MSword and Google Earth/Maps.
- Valid driving licence.
- Driving and operation of a boom lift (cherry picker).